Access to Fresh Produce
A biodiverse selection of fresh fruits and vegetables, IC’s customers benefit from a wide range of meals that they have not had access to in the past. Ethnically appropriate options will benefit the many diverse subpopulations that call urban food deserts home.
▪ An urban farm of this scale will increase fresh fruit and vegetable intake of more than 9,000 residents providing stability to local families and reducing the cost of these nutritious foods by 20%.
Promoting Healthy Living
The change to a healthy, nutrient rich diet has been shown to:
▪ Increase School performance by a full grade level
▪ Decrease classroom disruptions by 50%
▪ Decrease anti-social and violent behavior by 50%
Urban Agriculture Benefits the Local Community
IC’s plans include replacing the city’s industrial past with green farming practices, orchards, a bee colony, and reducing the carbon footprint by growing and buying locally. This is an innovative approach to urban development that respects the assets of the land and mitigates the negative impacts of human growth and has a substantial impact on the community’s health.
▪ Food travels an average of 1,300 miles from farm to plate, loses on average 50% of nutrients quality, and leaves an enormous carbon footprint. Growing and buying locally is fuel efficient, less pollution, and has a substantial impact on our health.